Enrollment Information

Our elite society of ninjas would like to extend an invitation to those writers who would like an opportunity to train in the art of subtlety and resourcefulness. If you are interested, please contact Maryposa at mary_gola@live.com. Please include your name, and contact information. Anyone who would like to play is welcome.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Fabrications

Fabrications

Can they watch us mimic their kisses, embrace our own backs, burrow hands beneath our bedclothes? – Bernard Cooper

We spend the stolen afternoon between

the blue sheets my parents bought me for Christmas.

Gravity pressing our shapes into the foam

of my twin-sized mattress, like the time we drove

to Snow Bunny to leave our imprints in the freshly fallen

snow. I am curled lightly into the small of his lower back,

eyes closed. I hold my breath steady and slow, like I have

done for him so many times before, so he could watch me

while I didn’t sleep. I wait for his muscles to grow

tight around his bones urging him to shift, to wrap himself

around me. As he turns he runs his fingers

above the skin on my arm, down to the place where my hands

are tangled in blankets. He gently unravels me from my quilted

encasement, pries my knees from my chest, hooks his leg

around mine, and pulls me apart. His fingers run over my spine, pressing each

finger deep into my vertebra, the way Enki and Ninmah did

that day on the river bank, shaping the wet earth into figurines

of men. My own muscles loosen
and give their consent as he rolls me

onto my back. I keep my eyes closed as he spreads

himself over me, slips one hand under my shirt, while the other

tangles fingers into my hair. Lips brush across my forehead,

kisses my nose, and rests his lips on mine, unlocking

my own. He gently sighs, and I breathe him into

my lungs.

1 comment:

MaryPosa said...

So it seems we are the only ones who really, really care about being ninjas. Well, you are amazing anyway.

So very sexy. I love it. I like the space that you use here, like the twin-sized mattress. It makes everything feel so tight and intimate from the very beginning. I really like the way the lines "Gravity pressing our shapes into the foam. . ." and "imprints in the freshly fallen snow . . ." work together. it is a beautiful image! Also, the Enki and Ninmah reference is awesome, i honestly don't know much about them, but it still gives the poem and the events that are taking place here a very earthy and primitive feel. Well, i don't know if primitive is really the right word, but you know what i mean right? besides, your words say it better than i could try to describe it. anyway, it works. The whole piece is so sensual, and centered around the bodies rather than the people themselves. Which is funny because i noticed similar patterns in your fiction piece too. For me it seems to communicate more the basic instincts and the emotions behind what is going on rather than the intellectual side of things. Thank you for that, it's a very feminine poem (and i say that only as the highest compliment!) Yeah, the end got me all tingly, thanks for that too.

Also, if you were to extend this piece, i would love to see more miniature flashbacks, like the snow bunny. You don't need to go into much depth with them, but i love the impressionistic feel they give to the poem. i'd like more of that.
ok, i'm done now.